Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Videodisc, Digital
Scope & Content This DVD is of the Friends Meeting House on West Main Road in Little Compton, Rhode Island. The slides shown in the DVD were taken by Carlton Brownell before and during the 1963-1965 restoration of the meeting house. The first meeting house on the site was built about 1700. In 1815, the Quakers built a second meeting house on site of the first building reusing some of its materials. The 1815 Friends Meeting House, though speculated to be larger than its 1700 predecessor, was similar in appearance. Like the 1700 building, the new meeting house had a gallery, fireplaces and a central movable partition. The 1815 building was modernized in 1870 with addition of a projecting roof overhang, one story entrance addition on the west elevation and larger paned, taller windows. Much of the 1963-1965 restoration focused on reversal of the 1870 alterations. This building was added to National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Catalog Number 2016.22.1
Date 1994
People Carlton Brownell
Brownell, Carlton
Carlton
Brownell
Subjects Friendship Meeting House
Quaker Meeting House
Received as Collected by Staff