Hattie E. Cook
Year of 1882
|Scope & Content||
Photocopy of personal daily diary kept by Hattie Elma Cook of Adamsville during 1882. Hattie was approximatly 23 years-old, unmarried and living in her parents home. Hattie married Eugene Shurtleff in 1885 and the couple continued to live in Adamsville.
Handwritten index of diary compiled by Marjory O'Toole in 2013.
The diary is focused on social calls with neighbors and family members, going to church, rides in carriages and buggies, trips to New Bedford and to a lesser extent Hattie's sewing and chores.
The Shurtleff's lived at the intersection of Main St., Colebrook Road and Stone Church Road on the triangle or "Pie." The house still stands. Their daughter Venetta ran the Adamsville Wayside Library from the family home around 1920 for several years before she married and moved away.
Eugene Kossuth Shurtleff was born in Weyauwega, WI on May 3, 1856 and was a descendent of the 17th century Little Compton Shurtleff's. He and his mother returned to Little Compton when he was a young boy. A story says that she re-married three times on the trip back east. Eugene married Hattie Elma Cook on December 31, 1885. They had nine children and lived in Adamsville. Eugene died in Little Compton on December 30, 1942.
Hattie Elma Cook was born in 1859 in Dartmouth, MA. Hattie died in Little Compton on Febrary 2, 1943. She was terrified of riding in automobiles and according to a newspaper article never did.
For more information please see Helen Shurtleff Collin's oral history in "Remembering Adamsville" and numerous Shurtleff family photographs in this on-line collection.
For a photograph of Hattie Cook see 2013.07.10
|Dates of Creation||1882|
|Source||Constance Shurtleff McGee|
|Credit line||Constance Shurtleff McGee|
Hattie Elma Cook