|Object Name||File, Document|
|Scope & Content||
Three boxes of archival documents related to Sakonnet Point.
Box A38.1 has eight folders on the following topics about the Point:
- Spelling of Sakonnet. Page of various spellings of Sakonnet (spell Sakonnet)
- Photographs. Photographs are both color and black and white. They are various sizes, dates and views.
- Fishing-Photographs. Black and white photographs of various sizes and dates of fishing at Sakonnet Point. Some have been identified on the back.
- Miscellaneous. Includes advertisements, an original letter, newspaper clippings and photos of the Seaconnet Steamboat Company. Additional documents related to improvements at the Point such as a new crane, a club, and harbor renovations. History of "Mack's" provided by Bill Bullock.
- Photographs. Photographs are mostly black and white. They are various sizes and dates. Many are of the Lyman or Sakonnet Hotel and other Sakonnet buildings. Others are scenic. Some have been identified on the back. Includes a letter about building a new Sakonnet Point Club with an architects drawing on verso of what the future facility might look like. Folder of photographs of the Dutch House on the harbor owned by Pam Carter (2011) Previously owned by the Osbourns. The house contains a fireplace with a mural of Sakonnet Harbor by Reginald Marsh.
- At the Beach-Photographs. Black and white photographs are various sizes, dates and views. Most date from the late 19th c. Some have been identified on the back. Warren's Point Beach. Four black and white photographs donated by Joan Van Ess: 1. Group portrait of sunbathers. On back, UR: Bathing groups at Seaconnet; LL: Taken by AL Alden; LR: July 11th 88. 2. View of Warren's Point Beach from above dunes. At right, bath houses and carriage. On back, UL: Granny Carr, Black & Long Pond Rocks; LL: Seaconnet July 1888. 3. View of ocean and rocks at Warren's Point Beach. On back, at top: Granny Carr Rock Seaconnet R.I. (normally far above water); LL: JOSEPHINE REA(?)E CURTIS. | TROY, N.Y. LR: 12 July 88. 4. View of ocean at Warren's Point Beach with rocks at left. On back, UL: Beach at Seaconnet R.I. LR: Seaconnet Ju (edging torn). Four shares of stock for the Warren's Point Beach Club issued to Dudley L. Milliken. Collection of beach photographs from Florence C. Wislocki.
-Sakonnet Yacht Club. Stock Certificate of 2 shares in the Sakonnet Yacht Club, INC dated September 1, 1949. Issued to Dudley L. Milliken. Signed by Edward Brayton President and Paul F. Perkins, Treasurer.
Booklet. Sakonnet Yacht Club '78. Contains club records from 1978.
12 photographs lauching sailboats at the boat ramp,
-Fo'c's'le. Match book from the Fo'c's'le Restruant.
-Folder of information on Granny Carr's Rock: The story of "Granny Carr's Rock", by Kempton Clark, dated August 25, 1979.
-History of Warren's Point by Kempton Clark, dated November 5, 1966
Box A38.2 is oversized and includes a folder of articles related to fishing at Sakonnet Point,( squid fishing, trap fishing, swordfishing) a poster advertisement for the Davis House restaurant and oversized photos. There is also a fabric label sewn to a burlap sack that has been mounted on board. It was on a bag of potatoes shipped by the Seaconnet Steamboat Company before 1907. Poster from 2011 Exhbit Sakonnet Point Perspectives. A Larger Poster is in Flat Files 11. Poster "Covers of the Great Great Uncle Stanley's Who's Who Starting in 1985. Designed by Catherine Torphy at age 10. Also booket "21st Century Plus 8 Commemorative Edition" by Stanley Sornentino.
-Project Report and Environmental Assessment for Sakonnet Harbor. November 1980.
-Memorandum in Support of Proposed Harbor Improvements at Sakonnet Point. Report prepared in 1947 proposes to extend the breakwater to better protect the harbor. Report included aerial photographs of Sakonnet Point. This report was given by Andrea Phillips.
- Life Magazine Issue October 14, 1940, p. 120 story about Fishermen's Ball at Sakonnet Point
- National Fisherman Issue October 1989, cover photo of trap fishing at Sakonnet Point
- National Fisherman Issue January 1982, Harpooning Swordfish on George's Bank
- 3 Fishermen's Ball posters: Sept 22, 1950; Sept 19, 1952; Sept 21, 1951
- The Herald News article, July 31, 2011: Stripers and swordfish steaks. Sakonnet Point
- Memorandum in Support of proposed Harbor Improvements at Sakonnet Point. Produced by the Little Compton Harbor Committee. 1947. Includes aerial photographs of Sakonnet Harbor.
|Category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Extent of Description||
box 1 measures: h 10.5" x w 5" x d 15.5" box 2 measures: h 4" x w 16.75" x d 20.75"
paper, photographs, newsprint, burlap, cotton
Joan Van Ness
Willliam Henry McCormick
Dudley L. Milliken
Paul F. Perkins
Dudley L. Milliken
Deborah Carr Bailey
Seaconnet Steamboat Company
Warren's Point Beach Club
Granny Carr's Rock