|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
This photo is one in a series of slides (2010.0020.1-2010.0020.27) of the Friends Meeting House on West Main Road in Little Compton, Rhode Island. These slides were taken by Carlton Brownell before and during the 1963-1965 restoration of the meeting house. The first meeting house on the site was built about 1700. In 1815, the Quakers built a second meeting house on site of the first building reusing some of its materials. The 1815 Friends Meeting House, though speculated to be larger than its 1700 predecessor, was similar in appearance. Like the 1700 building, the new meeting house had a gallery, fireplaces and a central movable partition. The 1815 building was modernized in 1870 with addition of a projecting roof overhang, one story entrance addition on the west elevation and larger paned, taller windows. Much of the 1963-1965 restoration focused on reversal of the 1870 alterations. This building was added to National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Slide 2010.0020.17 shows the new vertical boards installed and the upper window framed in and closed in the lower window.
|Category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Provenance||Photographed by Carlton C. Brownell and donated to the Little Compton Historical Society.|
|Source||Carlton C. Brownell|
Friends Meeting House
Quaker Meeting House
|Place||Little Compton, RI|