Fragment of pottery. Irregular shape stone piece in light gray. One side is plain and the opposite side has a light stipple decoration. Made by Native Americans.
The Indians of Little Compton were the Sakonnet Tribe. The spelling today is different from 1675, when Benjamin Church called it Sogkonate. The Sakonnets were a subtribe of the Wampanoag whose villages extended from Mount Hope, the seat of the Chief of Sachems like Massoit and his sons Alexander and Philip, to Cape Cod and the islands of Southeastern New England.
The meaning of Native American words is less well know than the sound. Early white settlers recogized that Sakonnet was associated with swampy areas where wild geese were hunted. Thus became the romantic description, "Haunt of the Wild Goose".
The Squaw Sachem of the Sakonnets in the 1670s was Awashonks. Her first husband was called Tolony and he was Chief of the Sakonnets and when died she inherited his position.
|Dimensions||H-0.25 W-1.5 D-1.5 inches|
|Category||10: Unclassifiable Artifacts|